Carlsberg Fined 3-Million Pounds Over 2016 Fatal Ammonia Leak

Chemicals

Company operating Northampton’s Carlsberg brewery has been fined 3-million pounds over an ammonia leak which had killed one worker and badly injured another worker. David Chandler, aged 45, died after the release of ammonia gas, which left around 20 others that need treatment, at the site of the company in November 2016.

High Court Judge, Mr. Justice Picken, while passing the sentence said Carlsberg admits these failures of the company, specifically a failure to make sure the health and safety of the employees and non-employees alike.

He said, in this case, the material risk and the possibility of harm, to which employees and non-employees that were exposed had been the risk to health and safety from the possible escape from ammonia.

He added, a large number of people had been exposed to that risk, and it had appropriate isolations been in place, and the incident would have not occurred. The judge said it is not in dispute that this has been a case where the level of culpability has properly to be regarded as high.

See also  UK’s Ineos Announced 2-Billion Euros Investment in Green Hydrogen

But, the judge also said the company had taken steps to remedy deficiencies, and has shown a high level of co-operation, and has no previous convictions, and it also has a positive good health and safety record at the site of the company.

Sandy

Writing is a medium to express feelings and convey facts. A creative mind never rests in peace and this amazing platform gives me the freedom to write about what I like most.

I’ve been a writer/blogger for the last twelve years and have covered technology-related topics. However, I also have considerable years of experience in writing for various domains – Technology, Beauty, Fashion, Pharmaceutical, human psychology etc. Technology is my forte.

I’ve handled many interesting projects. Writing is my passion. As an author, I’ve learned a lot in my long journey of penning down my thoughts!